Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Heart Attacks in Women – I thought I had the flu…

Over this last year I have seen a few stories of women, in their 30’s, dying from heart attacks. IN THEIR 30’S. I don’t know about you but I didn’t think that was something you would worry about until maybe your 50’s.

Sadly, heart disease is the #1 killer of women. Not child birth, breast or cervical cancer… Heart disease.  Every 34 seconds someone has a heart attack. Heart attacks are caused with the blood flow that carries oxygen to the muscles in the heart is severely reduced, or cut off completely due to a buildup of fat, cholesterol or plaque in the arteries.
{photo: womenshealth.gov}


“But I never had any chest pain,” most women say. That’s because symptoms for heart attacks for women are not the same for men. While you may experience chest pain, most women experience symptoms similar to the flu or exhaustion. Lots of women brush the symptoms off as acid reflux or the pains of aging as well.
Are you freaked out yet?
So the facts. What causes heart disease? What are the symptoms? And how do you reduce your risk and increase your chances of a long and healthy life?
Well bless your heart, I have answers. You’re welcome.
Your chance for heart disease depends on:
  1. Your cholesterol levels
  2. Blood pressure
  3. Salt intake
  4. Blood sugar
  5. Genetics
  6. Substance abuse

The top eight symptoms for women are:
  1. Shortness of breath
  2. Joint pain or weakness
  3. Unusual fatigue or depression
  4. Nausea, vomiting, and/or heartburn
  5. Dizziness upon sudden movement
  6. Dehydration
  7. Fatigue on exertion
  8. Upper back pain, pain in jaw
  9. Uncomfortable pressure, squeezing, fullness or pain in the center of your chest. It lasts more than a few minutes, or goes away and comes back.

How to reduce your risk:
  1. Quit smoking! You can greatly reduce your risk of heart disease just by laying down the smokes for good!
  2. Exercise! (DUH!) Get up and move for at least 30 minutes a day!
  3. A healthy diet! Lean meats, lots of fruits and veggies, and less processed foods
  4. Last but not least – see your doctor! Go in for regular exams to know where you stand and what you can do to live a healthier life!

This is not something  you put off ladies, if you experience these symptoms call for help immediately!
Spread the word and learn your risk.
I like all of you and want you around as long as possible.
Now on to happier things.
Last night the hubby and I ended up going out, again. I managed to convince him to take me to Chipotle, I love it but he is a die hard Freebirds fan. Again he was disappointed but my bowl sure was AMAZINGLY delicious.

Then we went to see Fast and Furious 6, I tried to bring the Camaro into the theatre but they said no. Lame, she would totally fit. Straight up - it was awesome! Where some things totally exaggerated or completely impossible? OH YEAH. But it’s a movie. And it was a great movie. I like anything with fast cars, and dudes kicking butt. All in all it was a great night.

Oh except for one tiny thing. I was in the bathroom, walked out of the stall to wash my hands and there was a man in the womens bathroom with his pants down. I am scarred for life. Seriously, someone give me a loofa so I can scrub my eyes.
Anyways. CROSSFIT HOW I HAVE MISSED YOU!
I loved every minute of my vacation but I am not lying when I say I was having serious Crossfit withdrawals. I love my 5am workouts, and the people in my class make it even better!


Speaking of my box, CrossFit PRx, they competed at the South Central Regionals this past weekend! Sadly our awesome team was eliminated but Chelsea ended up 14thand Cole ended up 9th in the individuals! I am CRAZY proud of everyone at PRx who went out and gave their best and kicked butt! I was so sad I had to miss it, but I have been watching videos like crazy!


{none of these are my photos, I found them on Facebook}

So if you are in the Spring, Texas area check them out!
Eat clean, train mean, and inspire others!
-Jaren
Sources: Jillian Michaels Podcast, Heart.org


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...