Thursday, April 5, 2012

Easter Eggs!

Fox News posted an article today that I thought was very appropriate since its Easter weekend. Since we are all going to be dying and chowing down on some boiled eggs I thought we would discuss the benefits of eggs. I eat boiled eggs on a daily basis, be it for breakfast or for a snack! Today I had a boiled egg and strawberries before I headed off to class to keep me awake and full. You could almost called me addicted. It has been said in the past that eggs are bad for the heart and you should avoid eating them too often. LIES! Several studies show that there is no ties between eating eggs and cardiovascular disease, which is very very good for me. Here is where you have to watch your egg intake though. The average person isn't supposed to have more than 300 mg of cholesterol per day, and an egg with yolk has 186 mg. If you are worried about your cholesterol, ditch the yolk! Here are some very good reasons why you should incorporate eggs into your daily diet.


Eggs have lots of nutrients that are beneficial. There are roughly 80 calories in one egg as well as lots of vitamins, protein, and antioxidants. Eggs can help promote healthy skin and cell growth because it yields a lot of Vitamin A. Egg yolks are also great for eye health because it has lutein and zeaxanthin. Vitamin E, Vitamin B, riboflavin and folate are all beneficial nutrients found in eggs.


Egg whites have been proven to help with weight loss and managing high cholesterol. If you are worried about the fat and the cholesterol in eggs, just toss the yolk or feed it to your dog - trust me they will love you for it. My pup, Van, just inhales them. If you just eat the egg white, there is only 15 calories per egg. FIFTEEN! You can scramble them, or eat them boiled and they will help keep you full due to the protein found in eggs.


So boil some eggs for the week and let your kids decorate them. Fun for them, good snack for you! 


Since today is a school day (I go Wednesdays and Thursdays), I have no workout today. This makes me sad, but days of rest are important, I have to repeat this to myself to keep from sneaking into the garage and popping in a workout dvd. Instead I spent the day cleaning my car. Wash, cleaned the inside, glass, wheels, and tires. I'm a wee bit obsessed. That is a light car cleaning day for me, and it still took me four hours. But it was nice to get outside and get some sunshine! Gotta get that Vitamin D! Ready for the weekend, headed to Roundtop, TX tomorrow to do a day of antique shopping with my family! A whole day on my feet, those are the kind of days that I wish I had one of those Body Bugs or a Nike Fuel Band to see how many calories I burn. My friend Sarah over at A Ginger's Battle of the Bulge has a Media Fit Core armband. She showed me how it worked and its very cool. I'll be in the market for ones of these soon, so I'll do a post on my research soon. 


Have a good evening!


Live, Love, and Lift!


-Shy Kiwi and Me


For tips, suggestions, questions, or if you just want to share your story - email me at: kiwiandmefit@gmail.com



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...