Sunday, April 29, 2012

A Scary Statistic

Before I head off to bed, I wanted to post this little tidbit. I hope to post more on this subject at a later time when I can enlist the help of my sister the nutritionist. I mentioned something on this subject in passing a few weeks back and she talked my ear off for thirty minutes so I'm sure she could donate some wisdom to Kiwi Fit. I just read this statistic on LA Times and it really freaked me out.

"A third of American children and teens are overweight or obese. They are at higher risk of developing Type 2 diabetes, in which the body can't make enough insulin or use what it does make to process sugar from food. Until the obesity epidemic, doctors rarely saw children with Type 2 diabetes. The more common kind of diabetes in children is Type 1, which used to be called juvenile diabetes."



ONE THIRD. Could you imagine being a teenager and not only having to deal with being over weight but also having to learn to live with diabetes? I could not imagine. We are examples for our children. We can't say don't go to such and such fast food every day if that is where we stop every day on the way home. We can't say you need to join basketball if we can't find time in our own day to improve our fitness. Did you know what you eat when you are pregnant and breast feeding can influence what foods your child likes when they grow up?  We have to teach them to make better choices, involve them in sports and activities, and inform them of the consequences of what making less healthy choices can bring. I read the other day that the rate of teens dying due to obesity complications has increased as well. It is terrible to see our future dealing with this. Remember fitness is a lifestyle, a way of life. Share it with your family, involve them in your lifestyle. 


Live, Love, and Lift


-Kiwi and Me


For tips, suggestions, questions, or if you just want to share your story - email me at: kiwiandmefit@gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...