Friday, March 30, 2012

The Mystical Plateau

HOWDY! Sorry for the brief leave but I had a cost accounting test that I had to hibernate and study for. Stress level = 100; seriously I broke out in hives. I have hives on my hands, on my neck, on my face, on my chest. Its itchy and very un-cool. I came home and just sat there and tried not to think. But its past, and I’m ready to get my blog on!

So on to the topic I mentioned a few days ago – plateaus, which I think are about as real as fluffy white unicorns. I get this question from friends a lot, “I’ve plateaued so what do I do?”. You haven’t plateaued. I don’t believe in it. So my first question is are you counting calories? Weight loss is math my friends, calories in minus calories out! Simple! You may be able to get away with not counting at the beginning of your weight loss journey but eventually it’s going to become a necessity. You have to make sure that you are staying in your allotted calorie “budget”. My next question, are you working out three to five times a week for at least thirty minutes to an hour. If you say yes I’m counting calories and yes I’m working out then here are my suggestions.

1. Switch up your workout. Try a new workout class or tape. Or do your workout in reverse. Kick up the intensity or resistance. Our bodies are smart little stinkers, they adapt and if you are doing the same workout day after day, week after week your body is going to adjust and that workout is going to lose its effectiveness. So that’s why I say shake it up a little with something new so your body will be like “oh this is new”. Then you should see the weight start to move after a week.

2.  Make sure you are drinking enough water and not eating too much sodium. Your body can literally wilt if you aren’t drinking enough water. Water also aids your body in processing fat. Sodium can cause your body to hold onto water weight and though you may have lost some weight your body may still weight the same due to water weight.

Now, and this is important, if you are counting calories, watching what you eat, continually changing up your workouts, and drinking lots of water and nothing has changed then GO TO THE DOCTOR. There are several things like hormone imbalance and thyroid issues that can prohibit the body from losing weight. So go see a doctor, take with you a journal of your workouts and diet , and you have to be honest. They can run blood panels and help you find a balance in your body that will allow  you to continue in your weight loss journey!


Now if you are someone who is trying to lose those last ten pounds or what is referred to as vanity pounds you may not see a weight loss after a time. This is why I don't put too much faith in a scale. If you are nearing the end of your weight loss journey keep a photo diary of weekly progress photos or take your measurements. For example. When I started Insanity the first time around, I weighed 136. I actually gained two pounds and stayed that way for several weeks. At the end of the program I was in VERY good shape, and I still weighed 136. But instead of my weight being made up of some fat, it was made up of lots of muscle.  So keep that in mind.

So on a side note. My goal was to fit in a pair of size seven (in teen sizes) daisy dukes I used to wear just out of college. Well I put them on Wednesday on a whim and HOLY COW! They fit! Its not a perfect fit but its getting there! So I will definitely be ready for summer at this pace! 

As for my furry counter parts, they are all in trouble and being locked out of the bed room tonight. Lets just say they forgot their manners with guests in the house. 

Till next time,

Live, Love, and Lift!

-Just me

For tips and suggestions, or if you just have a questions, email me at: kiwiandmefit@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing!! I've been a little worried about this and though I have been counting calories I know I need to be more diligent and detailed about it!! So glad for you and your DD's ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...