Monday, May 14, 2012

Foam Rollers

Good morning guys! I am not dead. I had a bad headache all weekend which not only was no fun but it killed my workout plans. I’m feeling much better today though! Saturday we celebrated Mothers Day by going out to dinner, which was no bueno because it was also prom night. We didn’t sit down to dinner until almost nine pm, which mean blood sugar on the floor which meant headache. But my mother had a great time and I got to hang out with my niece and nephew so I can’t complain too much! I really owe my mother alot, my fit lifestyle was inspired by her. She used to teach fitness classes until her career took off, and she has always been a firm believer in eating clean. While in highschool I thought she was crazy cause I wanted to eat junk food like every other teenager, now that I'm a wee bit older I see the wisdom in her ways (especially since I want to stay young and fit). She is a wonderful lady, and I couldn't have asked for a cooler, sweeter, more loving mother! I spent yesterday, with my continued headache, catching up on all my shows that I missed during finals (Vampire Diaries finale = bawling my eyes out), painting my nails and seeing the Avengers – again. Monday means back to business, as in getting my butt kicked by Insanity each night. This is only a four day work week for me so I’m pretty excited, and I get to see my little sister this weekend!! She is graduating from University of Texas with her Bachelors in Nutrition. She is awesome. When I have a questions, she has answers. I highly suggest everyone have a nutritionist in their family.

I am a big massage addict, I always have knots on my back, my chest, and my legs. Those massage therapists go to town on working on those knots and I am in heaven. But not everyone, myself included, can fork out the money for a massage every week to get rid of those annoying knots. When the fiancé isn’t around to con into a back rub, I have my trusty side kick – the Foam Roller. My sister introduced me to the foam roller and at first I thought she was crazy, but holy moly the foam roller is an athlete’s best friend!

Foam rollers is a self-myofascial release (SMR) technique, used for preventing and eliminating knots in the muscle tissue. Stretching isn’t effective in this aspect because stretching only effects the healthy muscle tissue. Like with massages, to get rid of knots you have to apply direct pressure. With a foam roller you roll your muscle along the roller using your body weight to create pressure. You can find foam rollers at your local sports and outdoors store, or online for around twenty dollars. Once you have a foam roller you can search online for different ways to roll your muscles. Running Times shows a few basic rolls on their website. Just be aware your first time, well it may hurt a little but it is worth it in the end.

Tonight is the HBO show Weight of the Nation, you can watch it on HBO at 7:00pm CT or online. They will be airing episode one and two. Tune in, it is supposed to be pretty eye opening.

Live, Love, and Lift!

-Kiwi the Stinker, and Me

For tips, suggestions, questions, or if you just want to share your weight loss pictures and story - email me at: kiwiandmefit@gmail.com
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...