Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Pizza Dough


I’ve had a few people ask about our family pizza dough recipe, so I thought I would share! You may remember my pizza recipe post from a few weeks ago. In that post I used premade dough, and the calories came out to be roughly 160 if made in the stated proportions. With the dough recipe I don’t know the calories but I do know that it’s still better for you then store bought!

The original recipe is from Betty Crocker's International Cookbook (copyright 1980), one of the many cookbooks in my mother’s collections.

It states – for one pizza:
1 rapid rise yeast package
¾ cup warm water
½ tsp sugar
½ tsp salt
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cups of all purpose flour

But my family likes to be picky so this is how my mother and sister have changed it up to create the perfect balance of yumminess.

1 rapid rise yeast package
¾ cup warm water
½ tsp sugar
½ tsp salt
2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup of all purpose flour
½ cup whole wheat flour
½ cup of ground corn meal
Lots of Italian Seasoning

(If you don’t have corn meal you can just use a whole cup of whole wheat flour)

Candace says her trick for making the best dough – store the whole wheat flour in the fridge, and the corn meal in the freezer (From Roundup – has no preservatives). They will need to be heated before added into the mix (roughly 20 seconds, so they are not cold anymore, but not too hot). You don’t want to add them cold and stop the yeast from rising.

Add the yeast to the warm water, then add sugar, salt, oil and 3/4 a cup of the flour, 1/2 cup of wheat flour, and the 1/2 cup corn meal. Turn onto a flour covered surface, kneading until smooth. This takes about five minutes.

Then sit it near heat to rise for roughly an hour until it doubles in size. You can place a towel over it. Once risen, roll into a circle, place on a pan and decorate!


Live, Love, and Lift!

-Kiwi, Candace, and Me

For tips, suggestions, questions, or if you just want to share your weight loss pictures or story - email me at: kiwiandmefit(at)gmail(dot)com!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...